Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My Nose Knows

Smells are my favorite reasons for ridin' a two-wheeler:

water coming from a hose on a summer day

air just before a rain


rain


dirt just after a short sprinkling (what I call the smell of "God's dirt")


a pizzeria baking pizzas


roadkill deer
dog
cat
opossum
raccoon
armadillo(!)
skunk


live skunks (I saw a family of skunks crossing the road the other day)


river water
creek water


magnolia blossoms
roses
honeysuckle


(and my favorite) mimosa


and one other lovely flowery smell that I couldn't see and wasn't able to identify olfactorily


freshly cut lumber


tar (I LOVE the smell of tar-reminds me of family vacation trips to amusement parks)
blacktop (which I dislike the smell of because it reminds me of elementary school recess)


cigarettes (which I dislike the smell of indoors but actually kind of like the smell of outside)


exhaust
bus exhaust


garbage
dumpsters
garbage trucks (the worse is following a garbage truck down a street on trash collection day)


yesterday, while out working, I rode through a neighborhood in which someone was cooking supper which smelled richly and deliciously of something buttery


meat cooking on a grill (vegetarian-don't care for the smell)


pond in spring
pond in summer


lake in spring
lake in summer


spring air
summer air
cooooold winter air


I'm sure there are many, many more things I smell each time I ride but which are too subtle or quickly passed for me to notice, identify or remember.





No comments: